Building muscle is more than just working out, and it is more than just using muscle building supplements. There really is a right way - a scientifically proven way - to build mass muscle. Here are some tips:
1. Make sure that you are getting enough protein, through food and muscle building supplements. Furthermore, make sure that the protein that you are getting is high quality protein. Without the proper amount of protein, your muscles will not only stop growing, but you will lose muscle as well. You need 1.75 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight, each and every day. Some people consume up to 1 gram per kilogram, just to be on the safe side.
2. You must constantly feed your muscles. Muscles are always busy - even when you are at rest. They are constantly doing one of two things: they are either building up, or breaking down. If they aren't fed, they are breaking down, and the only way that they build is by outpacing the breakdown process with the build up process. This requires the constant presence of protein. This is why bodybuilders typically eat six meals a day.
3. Make sure that Your Protein is doing the right thing. If you consume nothing but protein, which is a mistake that some bodybuilders make, you will find that you aren't growing muscle. Instead, the protein is used for other body functions, such as turning into blood sugar for energy. It's important to eat a well balanced diet, even though you will be taking in more protein than what the 'normal' diet consists of. The best way to do this is to include low-glycemic carbs with your protein. This way, the carbs can be used as fuel, and the protein can be used to build muscle.
4. Your muscles are 70% water, and water is essential to their growth. Water is used to move the proteins through the muscles. You can do everything else right, but if you aren't getting enough water, your muscles simply won't grow. The rule is to drink one ounce of water for every gram of protein that you eat.
5. Eat immediately after your workouts. Eat a meal that is high in protein, with low-Glycemic carbs as well. This meal should be eaten within one hour of finishing your workout. After that time, you lose your window of opportunity to help your muscles grow even more. Not only does this help your muscles to grow bigger, faster, it also helps them to heal faster.
There is a great deal more to learn about muscle building supplements, but this is a start, and it will get you headed in the right direction to help you reach your bodybuilding goals. Remember that bodybuilding is more than working out, and it is more than using muscle building supplements. It is a combination of many things, and leaving just one element out can severely hinder your bodybuilding efforts.